Ice Hockey

Mae Batherson, Rhea Hicks pick up CHA weekly awards

Trent Kaplan | Staff Photographer

After Syracuse split its two-game series against Merrimack, Mae Batherson won Defenseman of the Week and Rhea Hicks earned Rookie of the Week honors.

Two Syracuse players earned College Hockey America awards after splitting a series against Merrimack this weekend. Mae Batherson won Defenseman of the Week and Rhéa Hicks won Rookie of the Week.

Batherson recorded two assists in Syracuse’s 3-2 comeback overtime win on Friday. The Orange found themselves down 2-0 inside five minutes, but battled back. Down 2-1, Batherson crossed the blue line before firing a pass to the center of the ice for Anna Leschysyn, who ripped a shot into the top left corner to tie the game up at 2-2.

With just under three minutes left in overtime, Batherson controlled the puck in the neutral zone, drawing two Merrimack defenders before finding Sarah Marchand. Marchand swung it to a wide open Lauren Bellefontaine, allowing her to finish off the game for Syracuse’s first win of the year. In a 2-0 loss on Saturday to the Warriors, Batherson tied a career high with five shots.

Batherson has now won Defenseman of the Week twice in her career. She was also named CHA Rookie of the Week three times in 2019-20.

Hicks was a threat on the offensive end in both of Syracuse’s games against Merrimack. The Ontario native had two shots in each game. Hicks helped initiate the offense and transition attack for SU, creating opportunities for her teammates along with drawing a couple of penalties in both games.

Hicks is fresh off a gold medal from this summer, helping Team Canada win the U-18 crown at the International Ice Hockey Federation Women’s World Championship. Last season, SU got contributions from then-freshmen Sarah Marchand and Madison Primeau, who both scored double-digit goals. Hicks will look to build off of their success from last season.