Women's Lacrosse

Megan Carney, Meaghan Tyrrell announce return for 5th year

Trent Kaplan | Staff Photographer

After combining for 109 goals in 2022, Carney and Tyrrell will return to SU for a fifth year.

On Monday, Syracuse attackers Megan Carney and Meaghan Tyrrell announced that they will return to SU for a fifth year. The duo combined for 159 points and 109 goals in 2022 while both players were named All-Americans by Inside Lacrosse.

Carney got an honorable mention from IL even after a season beset by injuries. There were multiple stretches where the McKinney, Texas native missed games while healing from lower body injuries. But when Carney played, she returned to being one of the Orange’s best scorers. Carney recorded a hat trick in seven games, including a five-goal performance in Syracuse’s 18-16 comeback win over then-No. 7 Duke.

Even as Carney’s production slowed down in the NCAA Tournament, her 48 overall points were a step in the right direction after her dominant 2021 season was cut short due to an ACL tear.

While Carney’s offense was inconsistent, Meaghan remained dominant throughout the season. In 2022, Meaghan scored 111 points and recorded the highest shooting percentage of her collegiate career (.595). The Mt. Sinai, New York native recorded a hat trick in 76% of all Syracuse games played this year, the highest percentage by any player on the team.

During a postseason of inconsistent play from the attack, Meaghan scored at least three goals in all four postseason matchups. This included a five-goal game against Princeton to send the Orange to the Elite Eight for the second season in a row. Meaghan was the only SU player to be named a first team All-American by the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association.