Rowing

Syracuse’s second varsity 8 earns ACC Crew of the Week

Skyler Rivera | Senior Staff Writer

Syracuse's second varsity 8 swept five other teams that received votes in the national rankings.

Syracuse’s second varsity 8 has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference Crew of the Week after a strong performance at the Lake Wheeler Invitational. 

The Orange were triumphant in all three rounds of racing at the event and beat No. 11 Duke by five seconds in round one. SU then defeated No. 9 Penn by just over half of a second in the second round. 

The second varsity 8 also swept five other teams that had votes in the national rankings — Navy, UCF, Clemson, Louisville and Boston.  The victorious boat was composed of coxswain Louise Rath along with rowers Lena Radke, Katharine Ryan, Lauren Coop, Emma Gossman, India Aikens, Taylor Lewandowski, Haley Uliasz, and Emma Braun. 

“The 2V8 came out strong on Friday against top competition in No. 9 Penn and No. 11 Duke and rose to the occasion,” head coach Luke McGee said in an SU Athletics release. “Both crews have had strong performances earlier this season with Penn at the Pac 12 Invitational and Duke at the Big Ten Invite. On Saturday, they backed it up against teams receiving votes in the national rankings in Louisville and UCF. They did not let down.” 

The Orange will compete against Tennessee, Penn and Princeton on Saturday in Princeton, New Jersey.