Rowing

Syracuse men’s varsity 8 ranked No. 7 in IRA Coaches Poll

Syracuse kicks off its season this weekend in California.

Syracuse men’s rowing enters its 2022 season with a varsity eight boat ranked No. 7 in the Intercollegiate Rowing Association Coaches Poll. SU posted a top 10 ranking throughout last season, reaching as high as No. 3.

All of the Orange’s upcoming opponents were also ranked in the week 1 poll. Syracuse travels to Redwood City, California, for its season opener against No. 2 Washington, No. 8 Stanford and No. 18 Oregon State this weekend. SU finished fourth overall in last year’s IRA championship — the first IRA Regatta held since 2019 — and all its boats finished in the top 10, too. A lot of the Orange’s competitors were unable to compete last year due to the pandemic, though.

The varsity eight will be joined in California by the second varsity eight, which is currently ranked at No. 8 in the IRA coaches 2V8 Poll. The third varsity eight, which performed well in a scrimmage against Colgate this past week, is also ranked at No. 8 in the 3V8+ poll.

Following this weekend’s races, Syracuse travels to Annapolis, Maryland, to compete against Cornell and Navy in the Goes Trophy event. The Orange also have events scheduled in Vermont and Massachusetts before traveling to West Windsor, New Jersey, for the IRA Championship in June.