Tennis

Syracuse tennis announces spring 2022 schedule

Emily Steinberger | Editor-In-Chief

Syracuse will open the season with a four-match homestead beginning Saturday against Army.

Syracuse tennis announced its spring 2022 schedule on Monday, with its season-opener set for Saturday against Army at the Drumlins Tennis Club, the first of a four-match homestand to begin the season.

Following their opener on Saturday, the Orange will face Brown, Penn State and Cornell over an eight-day stretch at home. Syracuse will then head to Philadelphia to take on Temple (Feb. 5) and Drexel (Feb. 6), before returning home to wrap up nonconference play against Buffalo (Feb. 12) and Niagara (Feb. 13).

Atlantic Coast Conference action begins in the middle of February when the Orange take on Boston College (Feb. 19) at home. Then they travel to face Virginia Tech (Feb. 25) and No. 7 Virginia (Feb. 27), followed by home matches against 12th-ranked Georgia Tech (March 4) and Clemson (March 6). SU will then take on two of the ACC’s top teams in No. 3 North Carolina (March 18) and No. 6 Duke (March 20).

Syracuse will get a five-day rest period to prepare for a four-match homestand against Wake Forest (March 25), NC State (March 27), Louisville (April 1) and Notre Dame (April 3). The Orange will conclude the regular season with a pair of road matches against Miami (April 15) and Florida State (April 17).

The ACC Tournament is scheduled for April 20-24 in Rome, Georgia, where Syracuse will compete for a spot in the NCAA Tournament against a conference that currently has seven nationally ranked teams, the most of any Power 5 conference.

Syracuse is returning five of its nine players from last year, including All-American Viktoriya Kanapatskaya. During that season, SU received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, where it fell to No. 26 Kentucky in the first round.