Men's Soccer

Syracuse forward Deandre Kerr signs with Toronto FC

Kate Harrington | Contributing Photographer

Deandre Kerr led Syracuse in goals the past two years.

Sophomore forward Deandre Kerr has signed with Toronto FC as a homegrown player. His contract will last through 2024 with options for 2025 and 2026.

Kerr was Syracuse’s leading goal scorer in his two seasons with the Orange, tallying four in his freshman season in 2020 and nine in 2021. He was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference freshman team in 2020 and the All-ACC first team this past year along with earning United Soccer Coaches’ second team All-Region honors.

The Ajax, Ontario native played for Toronto FC’s youth academy for two seasons before joining Syracuse, where he was also a top goal scorer. In 2019-20 — his final season with TFC’s academy — he scored 14 goals along with nine assists. Before that season, Kerr represented Canada at the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup, starting in all three of the team’s group stage games. Prior to that, he also made three appearances as a member of the U-15 Canadian National squad.

Kerr is the only Syracuse player from the 2021 team to have made the jump to the professional level thus far. Manel Busquets was the Orange’s only player eligible for selection in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft but was not among the players selected.

Kerr joins 10 fellow homegrown players on Toronto FC’s roster along with former Syracuse goalkeeper Alex Bono, who was selected sixth overall by Toronto in the 2015 SuperDraft.