Syracuse lands Michigan quarterback; 3 players transfer to FIU

Lucy Messineo-Witt | Senior Staff Photographer

Dan Villari transfers to Syracuse after making four appearances for Michigan in 2021.

Former Michigan quarterback Dan Villari announced his decision to transfer to Syracuse on Tuesday night. The Massapequa, New York native has four years of NCAA eligibility left. 

Villari appeared in four games this season, seeing time on special teams, and also under center as the Wolverines’ third-string quarterback. He completed his first career pass against Maryland in November and added two rushing attempts for 14 yards. Villari recorded rushing attempts in three other games, too, after not seeing any snaps in 2020.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Villari was a three-star prospect out of Plainedge (New York) High School, according to 247Sports. The quarterback was the 12th-highest recruit in New York and was a first-team All-State selection. He showcased a dual-threat ability in high school, throwing for 1,306 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior, while adding 1,522 yards and 25 rushing touchdowns. 

Syracuse now has four quarterbacks on its 2022 roster, headlined by Garrett Shrader, in addition to returning backups JaCobian Morgan and Justin Lamson. The Orange don’t have a signal-caller as part of their 2022 recruiting class, despite losing both Tommy DeVito and Dillon Markiewicz to the transfer portal. 

The destination of three former SU players who previously entered the transfer portal was also announced on Tuesday. Cornerback Adrian Cole, wide receiver Sharod Johnson and defensive end Latarie Kinsler will all be heading to FIU, the school announced. The Panthers’ new head coach, Mike MacIntyre, has now brought in nine players through the transfer portal. 

Cole appeared in nine games this season, including two starts. He finished with 17 tackles and three pass breakups. Johnson, meanwhile, saw increased playing time after No. 1 receiver Taj Harris transferred early in the season. The redshirt junior started in nine games and finished with 14 receptions for 184 yards out of the slot position. Kinsler didn’t appear in any games over the past two seasons. All three players are South Florida natives and attended high schools near FIU.