SU-Georgia Tech rescheduled for Feb. 21, Notre Dame game moved to Feb. 23

Elizabeth Billman | Senior Staff Photographer

Syracuse's game against Georgia Tech was previously scheduled to be played at the end of December.

Syracuse’s game against Georgia Tech, previously slated for Dec. 29 and postponed due to COVID-19 protocols, has been rescheduled for Feb. 21 at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome, according to an Atlantic Coast Conference release. Additionally, the Orange’s game against Notre Dame on Feb. 22 has been pushed back one day due to the scheduling change with the Yellow Jackets and will now take place on Feb. 23.

With the updates, SU will now play five times between Feb. 19 and Feb. 28, starting with a home game against Boston College and ending with a trip to face North Carolina. In between, Syracuse will host Georgia Tech, travel to Notre Dame and have a home game against Duke on Feb. 26. SU then hosts Miami on March 5 to close its regular season before heading into the ACC Tournament.

The original meeting with GT had been postponed due to COVID-19 protocols within the Yellow Jackets program, prompting a gap between games that stretched from Dec. 21 to Jan. 2. SU had just returned from a COVID-19 pause of its own at the time of the postponement, defeating Brown on Dec. 27, and the Orange instead rescheduled a game against Cornell in the vacant Georgia Tech slot two days later. 

Head coach Jim Boeheim estimated that at least 14 members of the SU program, including four of its five starters, had tested positive for COVID-19 in the week following the Orange’s loss to Georgetown on Dec. 11, leading to a canceled game against Lehigh and a postponed one against the Big Red on Dec. 19 and Dec. 21, respectively. 

Since its pause, though, SU (8-8, 2-3 ACC) has lost three of six games to position itself at .500 heading into the final 15 conference games of the season. The Orange won their most recent game against Pittsburgh, and they’ll face Florida State on Saturday at home. Buddy Boeheim led Syracuse with 24 points against the Panthers, tying his season-high with five 3-pointers, and Boeheim said postgame that his defense was “by far the best it’s been all year.”