Ice Hockey

Arielle DeSmet named CHA Goaltender of the Week after making 71 saves in 2 games

Courtesy of SU Athletics

With 71 saves in two games versus Clarkson, Arielle DeSmet was named CHA Goaltender of the Week.

Goaltender Arielle DeSmet blocked two shots from Clarkson’s aggressive offense in the span of 10 seconds. Caitrin Lonergan rebounded the latter shot that DeSmet stopped and again shot it on frame, but DeSmet caught the puck with her glove to force a faceoff on Thursday’s home opener against Clarkson.

That sequence highlighted a successful week for DeSmet, who was named College Hockey America’s Goaltender of the Week. She finished with 71 saves from the weekend, including a season-high 37 in a loss to Clarkson.

Syracuse (0-2-2) has yet to win a game this season but has relied on DeSmet, who transferred into the program from Robert Morris last year, to protect the cage. DeSmet has seen the majority of the minutes for the Orange at goaltender this season, replacing Allison Small, who appeared in 43 games for Syracuse over the past three seasons.

DeSmet has totaled 122 saves and allowed 2.06 goals per game on the season. The Orange have a three-game slate this week, with a home game against Union on Tuesday, and a home-and-away series against Colgate.