Cross Country

Both Syracuse men’s and women’s teams finish top-10 in Coast-to-Coast Battle

The Syracuse men's team finished in second place, while the women's team finished in seventh.

The Syracuse men’s cross country team placed second out of 20 schools, while the women’s team placed seventh out of 22 schools at the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown, hosted by Boston College. 

Syracuse had three top-five finishers in races, led by senior Amanda Vestri (17:01), who crossed the line second in the women’s race. 

Graduate students Joe Dragon and JP Trojan finished just three seconds apart at 24:09 and 24:12, respectively, to claim the third and fourth spots in the men’s race.

Nathan Henderson (24:24) was next to cross for the men in 12th place, followed by senior Aidan Tooker (24:42) in 13th, senior Brody Smith (24:52) in 14th, freshman Alex Comerford (24:58) in 26th and sophomore Noah Beveridge (25:02) in 30th. The team finished with 60 points, behind only Arkansas’ 39. 

The SU women’s team totaled 166 points, just one point behind sixth-place Columbia, and the team only had one top-35 finisher. But the Orange had the second-fastest times for sixth and seventh place runners, which gained displace points for the team. 

Nearly a minute after Vestri crossed, Sage Brooks finished at 17:57, claiming 36th place. The last five Syracuse scorers finished within 15 seconds of each other, starting with senior Annie Boos (18:04) in 41st, freshman Savannah Roark (18:05) in 43rd, junior Abigail Spiers (18:06) in 44th, sophomore Sophia Jacobs-Townsle (18:07) in 46th and junior Holly Bent (18:19) in 53rd. 

The Orange will be back in action at the Penn State University National Open on Friday, Oct. 15.