Men's Soccer

Syracuse men’s soccer adds 6 players ahead of 2021 season

Gavin Liddell | Staff Photographer

Syracuse will add its fourth goalkeeper under head coach Ian McIntrye.

Syracuse men’s soccer signed striker Julius Rauch, goalkeeper Lucas Daunhauer, midfielders Luke Biasi and Colin Biros, back Buster Sjoberg and defenseman Christian Curti prior to the 2021 season.

Rauch comes to SU via the Union of European Football Associations Youth League where he played with Fortuna Düsseldorfer on the U17 team and Borussia Dortmund on the U19 team. Both teams are associate members of the youth league. Over two years, Rauch appeared in 60 games and scored eight goals. He’ll play alongside Syracuse’s four returning forwards, including rising sophomore Deandre Kerr.

Daunhauer played three seasons as the primary goalie for DII Kentucky Wesleyan. He started all but four games during his time with the Panthers, amassing a career 79.7% save percentage in the net. He will be the fourth goalkeeper under head coach Ian McIntyre.

Curti arrives at SU after playing two seasons with Marist, against whom Syracuse is a perfect 7-0. He started all but one game before the Red Fox’s 2020 season was canceled due to COVID-19. Opponents only scored three or more goals on Marist’s defense three times in 2019 and twice in 2018 — Curti’s freshman season.

After taking the NCAA’s COVID opt-out clause for 2020, Biasi transferred from Memphis to SU. At Memphis, he helped a Tiger defense that won 10 games for the first time since 2011 and that limited the American Athletic Conference’s top five goal scorers to two goals in 2019. Biasi also played for Atlanta Fire United for six seasons and Georgia United Development Academy for one.

Sjoberg, a transfer from Wofford College, was named to the All-Southern Conference first team and the Southern Conference All-Freshman team after his first year. He finished the 2020-21 season tied second on the Terriers with three goals and six points. Before Wofford, he was the captain of his U19 team in Sweden and coached a soccer team for children with disabilities.

Biros played three seasons with Akron before announcing his transfer to Syracuse. He amassed 20 points, scoring 10 during his freshman season. He earned All-Mid American Conference honors after scoring one goal and earning three assists in 2020. Biros was ranked No. 44 nationally in the class of 2018 according to TopDrawerSoccer.com.

The Orange have yet to announce a schedule for 2021 after going winless in conference play for the second time in four seasons.