Syracuse’s 2021 recruiting class ranks No. 11 in nation, per ESPN

Corey Henry | Senior Staff Photographer

For the fourth time in five years, SU registers a top-15 recruiting class.

Syracuse’s 2021 recruiting class is the 11th best in the nation, according to ESPN. The Orange’s verbal commits include Latasha Lattimore, Shayeann Day-Wilson, Amani Bartlett, Nyah Wilson and Julianna Walker. For the fourth time in five years, SU registers a top-15 recruiting class. 

The Class of 2020 was ranked No. 4 nationally, and featured the nation’s top-ranked center, Kamilla Cardoso, as well as Priscilla Williams, the third-best guard. Head coach Quentin Hillsman said that the Orange have “stacked two great classes.”

“That is how you win a championship; you need to have two or three classes stacked in a row that are filled with quality players and quality people,” Hillsman said. “And we did that.”

Following National Signing Day on Nov. 11, here’s a look at the Orange’s five verbal commits: 

Latasha Lattimore

The 38th best recruit in the nation, according to ESPN’s HoopGurlz rankings. Lattimore is a four-star forward who announced her verbal commitment to Syracuse by signing her national letter of intent on Wednesday, alongside teammate Shayeanna Day-Wilson. Together, the two attended Crestwood Prep in Toronto where Lattimore — a 6-foot-4 forward — averaged 17.5 points per game during her junior year. Hillsman said she’s a hybrid player and can play anywhere from the two through the five. 

Shayeann Day-Wilson

Day-Wilson and Lattimore helped lead Crestwood Prep to back-to-back Ontario Scholastic Basketball Association titles. The 5-foot-5 point guard slots in at No. 41 in ESPN’s top 100 rankings, and tallied 18 points in the 2020 OSBA Championship game. Hillsman said she’s very explosive, and her ability to “score on all three levels” means she’ll fit well into Syracuse’s system.

Amani Bartlett

A Houston native, Bartlett ranks No. 51 among Class of 2021 recruits. She’s a four-star, 6-foot-3 guard and was named MVP of the Southwest Preparatory Conference in 2019-20. Her abilities as a “super athlete” allow her to run from endline to endline as fast as anyone in the country, said Hillsman. 

Nyah Wilson

Wilson helped Duncanville (Texas) High School to its 11th Texas State Championship. Hillsman said the 5-foot-8 guard specializes in shooting from the perimeter, as well as guarding all perimeter spots. She ranked No. 99 on ESPN’s top 100 list.

Julianna Walker

Entering her senior year, Walker is just over 500 points away from Washington state’s all-time scoring record. A three-time All-State selection, the 5-foot-5 guard from Annie Wright High School averaged nearly 36 points per game through her junior year. Hillsman called her a “prolific scorer.”