Abdul Adams, Jarveon Howard reportedly opt out of season

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Abdul Adams joins Jarveon Howard in opting out of the 2020 season. The three were all set to play key roles for SU.

UPDATED: Sept. 9, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.

Running backs Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard have opted out of the 2020 season, according to The Athletic. They were listed on Syracuse’s depth chart, released Monday

Adams and Howard were listed as the top two running backs on March’s depth chart before the cancellation of spring practice. 

“They all have the option to do that at any time during the season, and that is why it is their option and not ours,” head coach Dino Babers said Sept. 7 regarding opt-outs.

Adams, a transfer from Oklahoma, tallied 336 yards in his first year with SU. Howard notched one yard more and averaged 4.4 yards per carry to Adams’ 3.9. 

Subscribe to the D.O. Sports Newsletter

Want the latest in Syracuse sports delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to the D.O. Sports newsletter to read our best sports articles, sent to you every Friday morning.

* indicates required

The opt-outs will delegate carries to sophomore Jawhar Jordan. The redshirt freshman appeared in four games last year, totaling 105 yards on the ground. He was listed as the starter on Monday’s depth chart and is the No. 13 all-purpose back in the Class of 2018, according to 247Sports.com. 

A previous version of this story stated that linebacker Tyrell Richards reportedly opted out of the 2020 season. He did not opt out — instead, he was left off the week 1 depth chart due to an Aug. 8 arrest for impaired driving and has been disciplined according to team and athletic protocols.