Election Day 2018

Democrat Michael Greene wins Common Council special election

Michael Greene was appointed to the Common Council in January and will hold on to his seat after Tuesday's election.

Democrat Michael Greene won a special election Tuesday to fill the Syracuse Common Council seat vacated by Helen Hudson.

The council voted in January to appoint Greene, a real estate manager, as a councilor at-large. Greene won with about 70 percent of the vote on Tuesday, defeating both Green Party candidate Frank Cetera and Republican candidate Norm Snyder to fill out the remainder of Hudson’s four-year team.

“I’m very humbled by the support I received,” Greene said at a Democratic watch party at the Sheraton Hotel Sheraton University Hotel and Conference Center.

Cetera and Snyder, a Syracuse businessman, both ran unsuccessfully for an at-large seat last year.

Hudson vacated her seat last November when she was elected Common Council president. Greene began serving as an unelected councilor at-large two months later. He has since passed legislation that eases regulations on food truck owners, called for a ban on parking space minimums and advocated for changes to the Syracuse Police Department’s contract.

Greene, a Cornell University graduate, grew up in central New York and lives in downtown Syracuse. He works as a real estate manager at Upstate Portfolio, LLC, and previously served as the assistant vice president of asset management of the New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Before that, he was a labor relations analyst for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, per his LinkedIn. Greene worked in that position for more than five years.

–Asst. Copy Editor India Miraglia contributed reporting to this story.